What are Silk Curtains?
Silk curtains are a high-end, luxurious fabric that hangs beautifully and creates a beautiful look. Although they have been around for a long time, they are now being introduced into the mainstream market. They can block out light so you can sleep in on weekends without having to worry about waking up early on Monday morning due to sunlight streaming through your bedroom window. They also provide thermal insulation by blocking out cold air from the outside and allowing warm air in from inside your home. They help reduce airborne dust, pollen, and pet dander for allergy sufferers as well.
Silk curtains are the new trend in interior design, and it’s not hard to see why – these drapes provide a touch of luxury, without breaking the bank. We take a look at everything you need to know about silk curtains, so you can choose your own and make them part of your interior design project.
Functions of Silk Curtains
Silk curtains are an alternative to traditional window treatments like blinds and drapes. They can be used for a variety of purposes, from accenting windows in the living room or dining room, blocking out light when it’s bright outside, or even as a room divider.
They’re available in many different colors and patterns, so you can find the perfect style for your home! If you want something more transparent than opaque, try using sheer silk curtains. These will let sunlight through but provide a measure of privacy. For families with young children, keeping sheer curtains on during the day will help protect them from UV rays that come through most glass windows. The sheers will also give you plenty of natural light without allowing anyone to see inside your home.
If privacy is what you need, then consider getting solid-color velvet or satin curtain panels that offer total opacity at night and during the day. With this type of treatment, there won’t be any glare or sunlight coming into your house either.
How to Clean Silk Curtains
There are many benefits of using silk curtains in your home. They are elegant, and luxurious, and offer a high level of privacy. However, they can be difficult to clean. Here is an easy step-by-step guide on how to clean them.
1) Hang the curtains with the lining facing out so that you can see where any stains are located and make sure they are dry before proceeding.
2) Use a vacuum cleaner or crevice tool attachment to remove any debris from between the folds.
3) If there is a stubborn stain use a small amount of liquid detergent mixed with water (1 cup for every gallon of water). Make sure it does not contain bleach or other chemical cleaning agents as these will damage the fabric and could cause discoloration.
4) Let it soak for 10 minutes before gently scrubbing the area with a soft cloth.
5) Rinse by filling a bucket or sink with warm water and adding some white vinegar (1/4 cup per liter).
6) Soak for another 10 minutes then rinse well with clear water.
7) Allow to air dry.